Come join your fellow SCALACS members for some socially distanced fun! On November 21st, SCALACS will visit the Oceanview Mine in the Pala Gem Mining District. At this unique experience you will have the opportunity to find tourmaline, kunzite, morganite and more pegmatite minerals. The standard dig fee entails you to keep up to 5 gallons of screened material, so you can also take home many pretty rocks if you are so inclined.
The cost to attend the dig is $75 per person, and must be paid in cash at the mine entrance. Your dig fees covers access to the tailing dump pile, onsite screening and washing equipment, and the site facilities. Check-in begins at 10:30am with the dig going from 11am to 3pm.
Registration is being done through the mines’ website. Please follow the link below for the registration website and select the date November 21st. You must register through the mine directly; if you do not, the mine operator will turn you away on the day of.
As registration is being done through the mine, please also send an e-mail to Derek Marin at firstname.lastname@example.org letting SCALACS know you will be attending so we can all meet up. You can also email Derek for more information about the trip.
Hope to see you there!
37304 Magee Rd, Pala, CA 92059
From Hwy 76, turn North onto Magee Rd.
Follow until you see the sign for the mine and turn left at the sign near the orange grove and not at the google address. More specific directions will be provided by the mine.
Things to bring:
Mine release, cash for admittance, Sunscreen, hat, 5 gallon bucket or zip top bags to keep your finds, Lunch, water, change of clothing as you can get dusty at best but probably a little muddy too.
About the Dig http://www.oceanviewmine.com/page2/page31/
Typical Finds http://www.oceanviewmine.com/page2/page1/
- 2019-02-22: SIFT-MS Seminar, CSULB
- 2019-03-09: Expanding Your Horizons, MSMU Chalon Campus
- 2019-03-16: Space Weather Seminar by Dr. Tamitha Skov at CSUN
- 2019-04-13: Undergraduate Research Conference
- 2019-05-17: Educational Awards Banquet at MSMU
- 2019-05-20: Tolman Award Dinner honoring Prof. Clifford Kubiak, UCSD
- 2019-09-14: 50/60/70 Year Member Luncheon
- 2019-10-26: Science Cafe Seminars
- 2019-10-28: Franco-American Leadership Tour Speaker
- 2019-11-09: High School Chemistry Teachers Meeting
- 2019-12-04: Agnes Ann Green Award Dinner honoring Veronica Jaramillo
- 2020-03-06: Collaborative Chemistry Conference
- 2020-03-18/19: High School Chemistry Olympiad
- 2020-03-26: Science History Institute Lecture with Dr. Michal Meyer
- 2020-04-04: Undergraduate Research Conference – CANCELLED
- 2020-04-25: Earth Day e-Town Hall Meeting
- 2020-04-25: Expanding Your Horizon Conference – CANCELLED
- 2020-05-03: Deadline for CCEW Illustrated Poem Contest
- 2020-05-27: Virtual Educational Awards Program
- 2020-06-13: e-Town Hall Meeting on STEM Women in Science & Engineering
- 2020-08-01: E-Town Hall Meeting: No-Cost Solution to Climate Change
- 2020-09-16: Richard C. Tolman Dinner Honoring Prof. A. S. Borovik, UCI
- 2020-10-01: Communicating Risk: DDT Past & Present, Mikal Meyer, Distillations Editor
- 2020-10-18 to 24: National Chemistry Week Virtual Events